ARRIFLEX D-21 The Film Style Digital Camera
The ARRIFLEX D-21 combines leading edge digital technology with film camera features that have been refined over ARRI’s 90-year history. It allows directors and cinematographers to shoot in the same way as they would with 35 mm film, while taking advantage of the immediacy and economy of digital acquisition.
Through ARRI Imaging Technology (AIT), the D-21 produces brilliant images with a cinematic look and feel. D-21 images have a high dynamic range, high contrast and the most film-like color reproduction of any digital motion picture camera.
Incorporating a rotating mirror shutter, optical viewfinder and compatibility with existing film accessories, the D-21 is immediately recognizable as an ARRI camera and film crews feel comfortable operating it. Further film style features include variable frame rate and robust construction.
The D-21's single, Super 35-size CMOS sensor exhibits the same cinematic depth of field as 35 mm film and the camera's industry standard PL lens mount accepts the same unequalled variety of spherical lenses as used on 35 mm film cameras. Since the D-21 is the only digital high-end camera with a 4x3 aspect ratio sensor, it can make full use of anamorphic lenses.
The ARRIRAW format enables the D-21 to output raw uncompressed data. Alternatively – or simultaneously – the camera can output an uncompressed HD signal that works perfectly in the established HD infrastructure. With such flexibility, the D-21 easily adapts to a variety of production requirements and budgets.
ARRIFLEX D-21 Main Features
- zero delay
- outside image area
- bright, full color image
- works without power
- fatigue-free viewing
ARRI Imaging Technology (AIT)
- custom designed CMOS sensor
- powerful imaging hardware engine
- unique ARRI image processing software
- carefully tuned system integration
Cinematic Image Quality
- ARRI Imaging Technology for a cinematic look
- rotating mirror shutter for film-like motion portrayal
- single, Super 35 size sensor for 35 format depth of field
- highest dynamic range of any digital motion picture camera
- super sharp, alias-free images
- extended color space for natural, film-like color reproduction
- consistent matching between cameras
35 Format Film Lenses
- industry standard PL mount
- unequalled variety of prime, zoom and specialty lenses
- compatible with spherical and anamorphic lenses (1.33:1 sensor format)
Compatibility with 35 Format Film Accessories and Support Equipment
- ARRI matte boxes, follow focus, wireless remote control
- dollies, cranes, Steadicam, etc.
A True ARRI Camera
- silent running
- simple operation
- robust construction
- ergonomic design
- variable speed and shutter angle
Flexible Output Options
- simultaneous data and HD outputs possible
- Data Mode: 4x3 ARRIRAW uncompressed data for film-like 2K workflow
- Data Mode: ARRIRAW T-Link
- HD mode: 16x9 uncompressed HD output
- HD Mode: Linear or Logarithmic, 4:2:2 YCbCr or 4:4:4 RGB, Normal or Extended Range
- Fiber optic option allows cable length of up to 500 m/1,600'
- sensor, electronics and firmware can be upgraded
- secure investment
- long product cycle